- 3 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 5 to 6 cups day-old torn French or italian bread or rolls
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Heat oven to 350°. Butter an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, flavorings, and zest. Add the bread and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Toss blueberries with powdered sugar then stir into the bread mixture.
Pour into the prepared baking dish. Set the baking dish in a larger pan and set in oven. Add about 4 cups of very hot water to the outer pan. I use water from my hot water dispenser, or bring water to almost simmering before adding to the larger pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the bread pudding is set and lightly browned on top.
Serves 8 to 10.